Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Kiss this face goodbye!

I honestly thought this day would never come. Now, a little less than twelve hours from now, I will be getting OUT of surgery, to be wheeled back to the ICU by the indians while the chiefs give themselves a few pats on the backs and maybe even a high-five for a job well done.

It hardly seems possible that it has been eight years since Dr. L first suggested that I have this surgery. Eight years, it took, to convince me that this was necessary. Eight years, to finally have good enough insurance to cover all but $200 of this almost 11k surgery. Whew! Thank god for good insurance. Either way, I'm sitting here on the day bed that will be my home for the next few weeks while I recover. Luckily, it's comfortable and one side incline's so I can lay comfortably and watch TV. Right about now, I wish I had a DVR so I could have been stockpiling it with my favorite shows and wouldn't have to suffer through reruns of Jerry Springer or, god help me, The View!!!!

So, I have to be at the hospital at 5:30 am and my surgery is at 8 am. For anyone who knows me (well), you'll know how much agony I'll be in having to wait 2-1/2 hours for the surgery. I hate waiting. I just want to walk through the door, get knocked out and then rolled into the OR. I don't want to sit around and wait, thinking about what they're going to be doing to my face.

Honestly, though, that part doesn't scare me. Although, last night I was watching some mediaeval torture show and they were sawing a skeleton in half and I couldn't help but cringe. But, I digress. The part that scares me is how much pain I'll feel. I've read other blogs and none have really commented too much on the pain aspect of it, only to say that it wasn't that bad. That is (and isn't) comforting. It reminds me of what everyone always says about childbirth. It hurts like hell, but afterwards you don't remember it. Is that what this is going to be like. I'm gonna hurt like hell for a while, but then once I'm healed, I'll say, "Oh it wasn't that bad!"

Just like when I was getting my belly button pierced for the first time. Every one said, "It didn't hurt me at all." "Oh no, it's just a little pinch, you won't fell a thing."

Oh yes I did! THAT HURT LIKE HELL...and I wasn't about to go around telling people it didn't. To this day, if people ask if it hurt, I say, "HELL YES IT DID!" Hurt just as bad the second time around, too.

But, like my momma said, "don't dwell on it because the things we dwell on tend to expand."

Ain't that the truth!

Night all. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment