Friday, October 2, 2009

My, my....Time does fly...

It's been a week and a half since my surgery and my doctor is impressed with how fast I'm healing and of course he's patting himself on the back abit about how good of a job he did. I certainly can't begrudge him that. I'd hope for nothing less. This is me the day I got out of the hospital and into my own bed.

P
roblems I'm having though are from the rubber bands that are to keep my mouth shut. Apparently they are so tough that they've broken loose three of my brackets. Any more break loose and I'm not gonna have any teeth left to hook them on! I hesitate in calling Dr. A because he'll want me to go see Dr. L (which I am doing next wednesday anyway) to get them rebonded. The problem is...I can still only open my mouth a teeny tiny bit. My lower jaw isn't giving much yet, so they won't be able to stick that plastic thing that's supposed to keep my mouth open so they can work on my teeth with out saliva getting all over everything. So...I know it's a moot point to even go. There's nothing they can do at this point. So, lets just hope that the rest of the brackets hold until the time that I can actually open my mouth without being in excruciating pain!

This picture, to the left, is from today. The swelling is hard to notice, but my cheeks are fuller than they normally are. My doctor's were quite impressed with how quickly my swelling had gone down. I've lost about 8lbs so far. Doesn't really feel like it, but the scale doesn't lie! (yeah right!) The food thing hasn't been too bad. Once I finished the antibiotic and was feeling relatively normal, I started venturing out of the ensure/cream-o-potato soup/apple juice realm that they had me on in the hospital and started experimenting.


Pureed peaches...yuck!
Pureed homemade vegetable soup....yum!
Ravioli & Spagetti & Meatballs in a blender....Yum! (If you liked it in the first place, of course)
Cream of Wheat...Mmmm, mmm good.

I've been told that a big mac in a blender...with the assistance of beef broth taste pretty good, but I'm not willing to try it. I'll just stick to soups, apple sauce, and C.o.W. Those seem to be working out pretty well for me. Oh, and V8 Fusion is pretty darn good, too! For some odd reason, I don't really like the V8 Splash.

Here are two pictures from before & after the surgery, just to give you an idea.

3 comments:

  1. That is awesome that you are healing up so fast! Hope the rest of your recovery goes smooth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Wow you look great post surgery, you seem to be a fast healer :) thats awesome! I am having my surgery in a few months and it had not hit me yet, I feel like that day will never come. I am not freaking out just yet, but from reading all the blogs I'm excited but also scared at the same time. I really hope I get to heal as fast as you did. :)

    Best,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sue. Yeah, even the doctors were surprised at how fast I'm healing. Good luck with your surgery!

    ReplyDelete